Tuesday, December 04, 2012

CHEER: PHOTOS FOR CHRISTMASTIME

One thing that I've always wanted to do, and just started doing this year, is taking family photos for Christmas. Jon and I talked about it when we first got married, but always ended up waiting until the last minute. This year we had our friend Danielle from Valimont Photography snap some holiday pictures for us a couple weeks ago. I love how they turned out and I'm so thankful that we took the time to get our pictures taken. While I love photographing my life and can usually be found with my camera by my side, photos of Jon and I together don't happen very often. Sometimes paying a friend and//or professional photographer for 30 minutes of their time is totally worth it. :)

For today's 12 Days of Christmas Cheer, I'm sharing some family photo inspiration for Christmastime! It's not too late to get your family together to snap a couple shots to put in your Christmas cards. ;)

Photos Found Here: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10

Tips on getting a good family photo:
1. If it's just you and your significant other, try setting up your camera on a tripod and using a self timer. I might even suggest buying an inexpensive wireless shutter release for your camera so you can easily snap pictures. For bigger families or if you don't have a good camera to shoot with, consider asking a friend with a DSLR to take some photos of you. :)
2. It's always best to take photos in natural lighting. Outside is even better, especially if it's a little overcast. Using a flash can appear harsh, but capturing the soft glow of lights inside or sharing your Christmas tree buying experience outside is the best for beautiful photos.
3. Get in your element. If you and your family are adventurers or bookworms, show that in your picture! Have fun and don't feel like you have to be too posed.
4. Use props! Sometimes it's easier to get into the photo taking spirit when you have a couple props. Try making your own Christmas sign, wrapping each other up in lights or wearing fun hats. Don't you just love the one of the kids on the chalkboard floor above? So clever!
5. Leave room for text. If you would like your photo to have text designed over it or plan to use something like TinyPrints to create your Christmas cards, make sure some of your photo options have a lot of space on one side, just have your photographer zoom out a little more so you can edit it how you like. :)

This year, I decided to design my own cards and took one of the pictures from our shoot and did a simple text treatment over it. We got our photos printed via Shutterfly and will be handwriting cards and putting the photos in each envelope. This turned out to be very affordable! Do you take family photos each year for Christmas? If so, what were some of your favorite photo taking memories and tips?? Be sure to check out Jenny's blog later today to get some great Christmas card inspiration. :)

Just in case you missed it, check out some of our other Christmas Cheer posts and be sure to follow along on our Facebook page!
Day 1: Advent Calendar DIY - Here + Jenny's
Day 2: Our Favorite Christmas Movies & Music - Here + Jenny's
Day 3: Snow Globe DIY + Homemade Marshmallow's 


12 comments:

  1. I am heading out to take our family portraits this weekend and these are perfect tips! I really love all of these as inspiration

    <3 katherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to do this when I have my own lil family. I tried to get my boyfriend do a christmas card picture but he declined. He claims he's not photogenic enough...But I'm sucker for that picture of the couple with the lights around them! It's so cute! Maybe next year I'll convince him! =)

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought a new DSLR, but it hasnt arrived yet! I'm hoping that once we get it we can go out and take some holiday pictures....you never know when it might be the last one with just the hubbs ;)

    These are all great tips!

    xx Ashleigh
    www.ashflynn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true!! ;)

      ENJOY your new camera! How exciting! :)

      Delete
  4. Magical!

    Valentina
    http://valentinaduracinsky.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore Elsie + Jeremy's Christmas photos from A Beautiful Mess! I'm happy that you included them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these photos! They have such a nostalgic, magical feel to them...the one from The Sweetest Occasion and the ones of the kids on the car with the christmas tree are my favorite. So natural, yet so full of memories.

    A lovely post!

    -Rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips - especially the one about props. Gives people something to do in the pics and takes a bit of the pressure out of posing! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. my husband and i are getting our pictures done this weekend! this is literally perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHat a great and helpful post!!
    http://liberatedbylkc.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean!!! The husband and I used to talk about how we should do Christmas cards and for the last two years we've massively failed. This year however I made sure that we stuck to our goal and hired a photographer friend of ours to take a family photos. And you're right, it's hard when you're the photographer and you're always capturing your life and the people around you, but there are no photos of you with them together.

    xo,
    http://blog.sisiliapiring.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all these photos. They are gorgeous. It will be so fun to do family photos one day when I get married.

    ReplyDelete